Easy A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Linux distro for programming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corverta

Best Linux distro for programming? Empty
PostSubject: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:44 am

Hello!

I've made up my mind and I'm resolute to doing this programming project. Even though I have never coded anything, I'm looking forward to learning. I am going to begin with HTML, and my main objective is to make a social network. So I will be working with things like HTML, CSS, VoIP embedding, MySQL, PHP, mobile application programming and such. I know this question is an age old debate, but could someone please tell me the best Linux distro to accomplish these? and what programs do I have to download to do these?

Any answers are greatly appreciated

Thank you
Back to top Go down
RokkaMan

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 am

You must have wandered into this forum by mistake, perhaps thinking this was the I have a dream and how can I realize it at no cost forum.

This is a javascript forum...

But you're welcome.
Back to top Go down
Tetris
Admin
Admin
Tetris

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:46 am

Moved to appropriate section.
Back to top Go down
https://easya.forumotion.com
Corverta

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:47 am

Tetris wrote:
Moved to appropriate section.

I'm sorry about that. Anyways thanks Tetris, your a great moderator!
Back to top Go down
Phoenixx
Phoenixx

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:48 am

That's really a question of personal preference. Most things you can do on one distro can be accomplished using another, a lot of the major distributions have the same software available. I like using Ubuntu for the sole reason that I can make it look pretty very easily.

I've also programmed on Fedora and Debian. I found that using Debian was a little more challenging (I had to do more things through the shell, rather than having a nice little GUI to aid me). So if you want to learn how to use Linux better, I'd use Debian. Or you could always fire up a session of xterm in Ubuntu.

If you are new to Linux, I'd go with Ubuntu.
Back to top Go down
Corverta

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 am

Phoenixx wrote:
That's really a question of personal preference. Most things you can do on one distro can be accomplished using another, a lot of the major distributions have the same software available. I like using Ubuntu for the sole reason that I can make it look pretty very easily.

I've also programmed on Fedora and Debian. I found that using Debian was a little more challenging (I had to do more things through the shell, rather than having a nice little GUI to aid me). So if you want to learn how to use Linux better, I'd use Debian. Or you could always fire up a session of xterm in Ubuntu.

If you are new to Linux, I'd go with Ubuntu.

Thank you for the non-cynical response!
So far, I've downloaded and tried to instal Unbuntu and Fedora. Both failed to install. I'm taking this as a sign I need to get more info. I want to install two (maybe 3) distros on my hardrive. I want one with excellent server service and that will be good to for web development/programming, and another one for me to get to know how Linux works and program in Linux. I've seen the interface for Ubuntu 11.04 and The new Fedora, and I like both. Are there any advantages/disadvantages one has over the other?
Back to top Go down
Zell529
Zell529

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 am

There's a lot of division in the community about gnome3 (what fedoa is using) and Unity (ubuntu 11.04). what works best for you just comes down to personal preferences, and anything anyone else says to you would simply be misleading since it is just personal pref.

Same goes with the distro really... when you get the UI's and such out of the way, linux is linux, whatever you want you can pull in... hell you could put unity on fedora if you wanted.... so again personal pref

Personally I choose Ubuntu but thats just me... other nice ditro's you might want want to look at are Mint, Pinguy OS.

Maybe Centos and debian on the server since they are widely used (though CentOS are losing a lot of ground atm, the OS centos is based on has made it harder to centos to keep up), Ubuntu LTS releases also can make a decent server OS (though always wait until well after a new vers is out before updating due to bugs)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Linux distro for programming?   Best Linux distro for programming? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Linux distro for programming?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1