Easy A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Removed hardware by mistake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CriesBye
CriesBye

Removed hardware by mistake Empty
PostSubject: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 am

Using the Safely Remove Hardware icon to remove a USB pen drive I accidentally clicked on the F,G drives which removed them instead

These drive letters referred to the memory card readers.
Could anyone please tell me how to get Windows to recognize them again?

These drives are built in with the floppy drive (yes I know) although the floppy drive itself still works OK

All help much appreciated

:EmoteCry:
Back to top Go down
Archlove
Archlove

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 am

If you go into device manager and press the toolbar button for "scan for hardware changes" they will probably come back. Alternatively rebooting I would imagine would cause them to come back.
Back to top Go down
CriesBye
CriesBye

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:39 am

Archlove wrote:
If you go into device manager and press the toolbar button for "scan for hardware changes" they will probably come back. Alternatively rebooting I would imagine would cause them to come back.

Thanks but neither of these brought them back but I found that doing a System Restore has.
Back to top Go down
Icy
Icy

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 am

Additional info even though you used Restore:

USBDLM V4.6.9.2 - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows 2000, XP and Other
Back to top Go down
CriesBye
CriesBye

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:41 am

Icy wrote:
Additional info even though you used Restore:

USBDLM V4.6.9.2 - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows 2000, XP and Other

Thanks for this info.
I have wondered for a long time why the drive letter B is never used.
Anyone know why?
Back to top Go down
Icy
Icy

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 am

See: What are the Windows A: and B: drives used for? Made working in DOS easier. Some "B" drives may have been a floppy and not the diskette version like the "A" drive.

"DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B." Source
Back to top Go down
CriesBye
CriesBye

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 am

Icy wrote:
See: What are the Windows A: and B: drives used for? Made working in DOS easier. Some "B" drives may have been a floppy and not the diskette version like the "A" drive.

"DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B." Source

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
Icy
Icy

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 am

Certainly welcome. Kinda miss the DOS days. :P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removed hardware by mistake   Removed hardware by mistake Empty

Back to top Go down

Removed hardware by mistake

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1